Family and education news archive
- New primary school on track to open in Shinfield this September
Construction is going well on the new Silver Meadows Primary School
09 January 2018
- Increased childcare funding for working parents
Working parents, meeting the earnings threshold, are now entitled to 30 hours a week funded childcare for 38 weeks.
21 December 2017
- Kick-off for new 3G pitch in Emmbrook
Plans are moving forward for a new 3G football pitch at The Emmbrook School, for both students and the public.
05 December 2017
- New school building is a class act
The first secondary school to be built in the Wokingham Borough for more than 50 years has opened its doors for the first time
21 September 2017
- Wokingham GCSE English and maths above national average
77.5% of pupils at Wokingham Borough schools have secured a grade 4 or above (roughly a C and above under the old measure) in English and Maths - significantly higher than the national average of...
24 August 2017
- Wokingham sixth formers celebrate A-level success
Sixth formers at Wokingham Borough schools have achieved a 99.1 per cent overall pass rate (A* to E). This is higher than last year's (98 per cent) and exceeds the national 2017 figure of 97.9 per...
18 August 2017
- Positive Report Following Joint Targeted Area Inspection
A multi-agency inspection into how Wokingham Borough Council and its partners respond to child abuse and neglect has found well established partnerships that are focussed on improvements.
19 July 2017
- National Carers Week from Monday 12 June to Sunday 18 June
To mark National Carers Week (Monday 12 June to Sunday 18 June), Wokingham Borough Council, Wokingham Outreach Service, Wokingham Crossroads, Involve and Wokingham Mencap have teamed up to organise a...
09 June 2017
- School crossing patrol decision following consultation
Following a seven-week consultation of Wokingham Borough Council's proposal to remove school crossing patrollers (SCP) from the eight locations that also have an existing dedicated crossing, and...
03 May 2017
- Fostering transforms young lives
Although most people know fostering transforms the lives of children in care, many don't realise just how much joy it brings to the lives of foster carers as well.
27 April 2017
- Primary school admissions success
Wokingham Borough Council has revealed this week (April 18) that 89 per cent of children whose parents applied for a primary school place will get a place at their first preference school.
21 April 2017
- Focus on Earley
Stretching from the M4 in the south to the bank of the Thames in the north, Earley is a place with much more than first meets the eye.
31 March 2017
- Wokingham Borough joins regional adoption agency
Wokingham Borough Council's decision-making executive has approved plans for the council to become part of a regional adoption agency known as Adopt Thames Valley (ATV).
30 March 2017
- Raise hope and foster dreams
We need more foster carers so every child can stay in the Borough and close to their families and friends.
27 March 2017
- Schools in Wokingham Borough gearing up for wheely big school challenge
Schools in Wokingham Borough are encouraging children, teachers and parents to jump on their bikes and scooters for The Big Pedal 2017.
17 March 2017
- Wokingham Borough Council's decision-making executive agrees expansion of three primary schools
This week (15 March) Wokingham Borough Council's decision-making executive approved the proposed expansion of three primary schools in the Wokingham Borough.
17 March 2017
- Multi academy trust plans for two borough schools
St Crispin's Secondary School and Nine Mile Ride Primary School have registered their intent with the Department for Education to become a Multi Academy Trust (MAT), called The Circle Trust.
10 March 2017
- Proposed changes to school crossing patrols
Wokingham Borough Council continually reviews the value of its non-statutory services, and in this context has been considering the effectiveness of pedestrian crossings as a proven, efficient and...
01 March 2017
- Nine Mile Ride footway for Finchampstead pupils
Wokingham Borough Council is providing a new Safe Route to School to provide a continuous path for Finchampstead pupils to walk to the new Bohunt School in Arborfield. The route is along Nine Mile...
15 February 2017
- Proposals to expand four primary schools
Wokingham Borough Council has published proposals for the expansion of four primary schools.
24 January 2017