Family and education news archive
- Council cuts carbon with LED lights
Wokingham Borough Council is making its schools more environmentally friendly, one building at a time through a variety of energy saving programmes. First up, lighting.
08 October 2019
- Together we can tackle child abuse
We all play a key role in protecting children and young people from abuse and neglect but many people don't act because they fear they might be wrong.
07 October 2019
- Community comes together to rehome Ashridge Nursery in Wokingham
Following a devastating fire earlier this month, Ashridge Nursery has been temporarily relocated in Wokingham Borough Council's Brambles Children's Centre.
03 October 2019
- Local children celebrate out of this world success with Councils summer reading challenge
Wokingham Borough Council is over the moon that a supersonic 2000 medals and certificates have been presented to children across the borough who successfully completed their Space Chase Summer...
03 October 2019
- Black History Month 2019
Wokingham Borough Council and the Wokingham Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) Forum are set to celebrate the borough's diverse community this October during Black History Month.
02 October 2019
- New facilities officially opened as part of Addington expansion
A host of new facilities have been officially opened as part of the £4.4million expansion of Addington School. Two new multi-use games areas, a new sensory path and expanded car park were all...
01 October 2019
- Help Wokingham Borough Council achieve carbon neutrality
Do you have any ideas to help Wokingham Borough Council save the world? Wokingham Borough Council is asking residents for their ideas on reducing the council's carbon footprint in a survey that...
25 September 2019
- Preparing for Brexit
The UK government has launched a 'Get ready for Brexit' public information campaign to help ensure the general public and businesses are ready when the UK leaves the EU on 31 October 2019.
24 September 2019
- Provisional outcomes of 2018 statutory assessments
Early Years Foundation Standard (EYFS) show 77% of pupils are achieving a good level of development
19 September 2019
- Fill your empty room by fostering fantastic young people
With many young people starting new jobs and moving away from the family home this autumn, now may be perfect time to make use of an empty bedroom in Wokingham Borough by offering a home to a child...
18 September 2019
- Local Offer Live Day for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities
Wokingham Borough Council is pleased to announce this year's Local Offer Live Day (previously named CAN Family Fun and Information Day) will take place on Saturday 12 October, between 11am and 3pm at...
17 September 2019
- Council celebrates summer cycling success for local children
A record number of local children have thrown away their stabilisers this summer after pedalling their way to success, completing Wokingham Borough Council's Bikeability Learn to Ride course.
12 September 2019
- Council adds new children and family conference facilities at Wokingham library
Work to provide conference facilities at Wokingham library has begun this week which will allow them to continue to support children and families in times of need
11 September 2019
- First phase of Addington expansion project completed
The first phase of the £4.4million expansion of Addington School has been completed with two new multi-use games areas (MUGAs), a new sensory path and an expanded car park now in use. The work was...
11 September 2019
- GCSE joy for Wokingham borough students
Students across Wokingham borough shone on GCSE results day, as they performed well above the national average in English and maths despite sitting new, tougher exams.
22 August 2019
- Wokingham borough sixth formers jump for joy over A-level success
Sixth formers at Wokingham borough schools have much to celebrate as today's A-level results were published (August 15). The proportion of students across the Wokingham Borough receiving the top...
15 August 2019
- Wokingham Borough Council's Elevated project success
Since 2016, Wokingham Borough Council's 'Elevate Wokingham' scheme has helped 321 young people across the borough to gain further education, training, work experience or employment.
13 August 2019
- Mums support programme launches in Wokingham
Wokingham Borough Council's partner, Places Leisure has announced the launch of Mums' Zone, the new holistic health and wellbeing initiative for mums and their babies.
09 August 2019
- Mayor supports technology assisted care opportunities in Wokingham
Borough Mayor Cllr Bill Soane has been helping raise awareness amongst health and social care staff about the vast array of technology now available to help and support vulnerable residents to live...
02 August 2019
- Summer Holiday Competition for children under 12
To keep the little ones busy this summer, Wokingham Borough Council and Places Leisure are hosting a Summer Holiday Competition, giving your child the chance to win a free soft play session at Loddon...
31 July 2019