Family and education news archive
- National Carers Week from Monday 12 June to Sunday 18 June
To mark National Carers Week (Monday 12 June to Sunday 18 June), Wokingham Borough Council, Wokingham Outreach Service, Wokingham Crossroads, Involve and Wokingham Mencap have teamed up to organise a...
09 June 2017
- School crossing patrol decision following consultation
Following a seven-week consultation of Wokingham Borough Council's proposal to remove school crossing patrollers (SCP) from the eight locations that also have an existing dedicated crossing, and...
03 May 2017
- Fostering transforms young lives
Although most people know fostering transforms the lives of children in care, many don't realise just how much joy it brings to the lives of foster carers as well.
27 April 2017
- Primary school admissions success
Wokingham Borough Council has revealed this week (April 18) that 89 per cent of children whose parents applied for a primary school place will get a place at their first preference school.
21 April 2017
- Focus on Earley
Stretching from the M4 in the south to the bank of the Thames in the north, Earley is a place with much more than first meets the eye.
31 March 2017
- Wokingham Borough joins regional adoption agency
Wokingham Borough Council's decision-making executive has approved plans for the council to become part of a regional adoption agency known as Adopt Thames Valley (ATV).
30 March 2017
- Raise hope and foster dreams
We need more foster carers so every child can stay in the Borough and close to their families and friends.
27 March 2017
- Schools in Wokingham Borough gearing up for wheely big school challenge
Schools in Wokingham Borough are encouraging children, teachers and parents to jump on their bikes and scooters for The Big Pedal 2017.
17 March 2017
- Wokingham Borough Council's decision-making executive agrees expansion of three primary schools
This week (15 March) Wokingham Borough Council's decision-making executive approved the proposed expansion of three primary schools in the Wokingham Borough.
17 March 2017
- Multi academy trust plans for two borough schools
St Crispin's Secondary School and Nine Mile Ride Primary School have registered their intent with the Department for Education to become a Multi Academy Trust (MAT), called The Circle Trust.
10 March 2017
- Proposed changes to school crossing patrols
Wokingham Borough Council continually reviews the value of its non-statutory services, and in this context has been considering the effectiveness of pedestrian crossings as a proven, efficient and...
01 March 2017
- Nine Mile Ride footway for Finchampstead pupils
Wokingham Borough Council is providing a new Safe Route to School to provide a continuous path for Finchampstead pupils to walk to the new Bohunt School in Arborfield. The route is along Nine Mile...
15 February 2017
- Proposals to expand four primary schools
Wokingham Borough Council has published proposals for the expansion of four primary schools.
24 January 2017
- You really can make a difference
There are children and young people in our Borough right now looking for a loving home, and the chance to reach their potential.
11 January 2017
- Oakbank School on an upward trajectory
Back in the summer, the school received a visit from Ofsted and was delighted to be told that it is a 'Good' school.
28 December 2016
- Helping Elevate young people
Elevate is an employment and skills hub offering support to young people and adults to enter the world of work.
21 December 2016
- School carollers raise the roof for Mayor's charity
More than 400 school children and 1,000 parents gathered at Loddon Valley Leisure Centre in Lower Earley on Sunday to sing carols at the annual Wokingham Borough primary schools' carol concert.
13 December 2016
- Wokingham Schools Careers Fair
Young people and their parents are invited to find out more about careers, apprenticeships, university and college on Wednesday 5 October at this year's Wokingham Schools Careers Fair.
26 September 2016
- Find out more about fostering
Being a Foster Carer is an opportunity to make a real difference to a child or young person. You can find out more about being a foster carer at one of our information sessions
15 September 2016
- First new secondary built in Wokingham Borough in half a century welcomes its students
The first new secondary school to be built in the Wokingham Borough for more than 50 years opened its doors for the first time today (7 September).
07 September 2016