Dinton Pastures Country Park is hosting a duathlon with a difference this summer – a SUPathlon! The brand new event, which takes place on 14 July, mixes running and stand-up paddleboarding together in what is believed to be the first of its kind in England.
Organised in partnership with Bracknell-based Barnes Fitness, the Dinton SUPathlon starts with 1km of paddling on Black Swan Lake followed by 5km of running along the established course used for the Dinton Pastures Summer 5km or 10km Series. Due to popular demand there is now an option to enter as a team, whereby one person will stand-up paddleboard and the other person runs.
Cllr Parry Batth, executive member for environment and leisure, said: “It’s encouraging to see Dinton Pastures play host to this unique event. I’m sure this activity will appeal to fitness fanatics both local and from further afield. It’s also brilliant to partner with a local business like Barnes Fitness to offer something as distinctive as the SUPathlon to local residents.”
Race organiser, Ellie Barnes of Barnes Fitness, added: ‘We’re really excited to be bringing the SUPathlon to Dinton Pastures. The lake, established course, and excellent equipment mean entrants can enjoy an experience that really is second to none. The event is also believed to be the first of its kind in England and I’m really excited to be bringing this to life in partnership with the team at Dinton Pastures.”
If you're interested in taking part here's everything you need to know:
- The race starts at 9.30am
- It costs £20 to enter if you have your own board
- It costs £20 to enter with board rental included
- It costs £30 to enter for a team relay with own their own board
- It costs £35 to enter for a team relay hiring a SUP
- A marked two lap stand-up paddleboard course with a full team of swim safety kayakers will be on hand, to ensure entrants feel safe and enjoy the event followed by a quick transition to find their running legs for a 5km run around Dinton Pastures Country Park
- Changing facilities and hot showers onsite
- Post event refreshments will be available
- Minimum competitor age: 15 as of race day
- Parking available onsite - £1.50 per hour up to 4 hours, £6 flat rate for 4 hours plus
- This event is not suitable for complete novices. You will be required to have had previous experience of stand-up paddleboarding and confirm that you have when entering. There are plenty of opportunities available at Dinton Activity Centre