Wokingham News Centre
  • News home page
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Youtube
  • Instagram
Search our Site
Main menu
Page menu
World Suicide Prevention Awareness Day: Sunday 10 September

World Suicide Prevention Awareness Day: Sunday 10 September

07 September 2017
World Suicide Prevention Day.jpg

Suicide has a devastating impact on individuals and families affected locally, nationally and globally. And, Suicide Prevention Awareness Day on Sunday 10 September is intended to highlight this important issue.


Facts and figures


Suicides are tragedies for all involved. For every person who dies by suicide at least 10 people are directly affected. The social and economic cost of a suicide is substantial. The average cost of suicide in someone of working age in England is estimated to be £1.67 million. The highest suicide rate in the UK in 2015 was among men aged 45 to 59, at 22.3 deaths per 100,000, slightly lower than the record high seen in 2013. This age group also had the highest rate among women, at 7.3 deaths per 100,000 population.


This age group also had the highest rate among women, at 7.3 deaths per 100,000 population.


The suicide audit taken in Berkshire between 2012 and 2014 recorded 120 deaths, 70% of these were classified as suicide by the coroner and the other 30% were undetermined deaths / open verdicts.  Berkshire Public Health is currently working to update this.  Also, the Berkshire Suicide Prevention Strategy will be launched on 17 October 2017.


Darrell Gale, Public Health Consultant lead in Berkshire said: “This is an important area of work in Public Health and highlights the close partnership with those bereaved (families), NHS, Police, Network Rail, Samaritans and others in preventing such tragedies from occurring.”


Cllr Julian McGhee-Sumner, Adults’ Services, Health, Wellbeing and Housing, said “It is vital we engage with agencies and communities to prevent suicides that has such a devastating impact on families and society. The launch of the Berkshire-wide strategy will raise further awareness with key outcomes, we should take time to reflect on the day of those who died in such tragic circumstances.”


Elizabeth Burton-Phillips, Founder of DrugFAM, said “It’s the unseen pain  that is very important  to understand  and it is  important to make time to ask someone how they are, take time to have coffee with a friend  or family  member as there is masking of suicidal ideation.” 

TWITTER LATEST