Roads and travel news archive
- New transport and highways contract to improve service for residents
After extensive consultation and engagement with local residents, businesses and councillors, Wokingham Borough Council has significantly transformed their highways and transport service contracts.
25 January 2018
- New agreement for major road building programme
Wokingham Borough Council has agreed Balfour Beatty can plan and build major highways projects including the Arborfield Cross Relief Road, South Wokingham Distributor Road and North Wokingham...
24 January 2018
- Consultation on future of safe school crossings
Wokingham Borough Council has launched an online public consultation, until Friday 2 March, on its remaining school crossing patrollers as part of its ongoing review into the value of its...
23 January 2018
- Reopening of Broad Street delayed due to unforeseeable issues uncovered in town centre
The challenging underground conditions revealed by work on the Market Place Improvement Project has led to an unavoidable delay in the reopening of Broad Street.
19 January 2018
- DriveStart receives royal recognition
Safer Roads Berkshire is celebrating after being awarded with a highly prestigious Prince Michael International Road Safety Award for the DriveStart young driver programme.
05 January 2018
- Free weekend parking during the festive period
Wokingham Borough Council is delighted to announce free daytime parking in the three weekends running up to Christmas (from Saturday 9 December).
29 November 2017
- First traffic-free green route linking Finchampstead to Arborfield Green development opens
Wokingham borough's first 'greenway' will be officially opened by Mayor of the borough on Saturday 2 December at 1.30pm
24 November 2017
- Child safety comes first at car seat safety clinic
Parents and carers were shown the importance of a correctly fitted child car seat at a clinic at Tesco in Finchampstead Road, Wokingham on 27 October.
15 November 2017
- Council to launch two major consultations on the big issues in the Borough
Wokingham Borough Councils need to hear your views on some of the major challenges facing Wokingham Borough.
30 October 2017
- 'Free after three' parking in Wokingham town centre to be proposed
With the transformation of Wokingham Market Place well underway, the borough council is set to bring in free parking in Wokingham town centre car parks, if approved by the Executive this month (26...
18 October 2017
- Market Place refurbishment well underway
Anyone visiting the town cannot fail to have seen the work that is now well underway to provide a much needed refurbishment to our Market Place.
31 August 2017
- Work to begin on King Street Lane for Winnersh Relief Road phase 1
Drivers and pedestrians on King Street Lane and Longdon Road will see work starting this month on part of the new junction that is a component of the Winnersh Relief Road project.
16 August 2017
- Business as Usual - Shop Local: Shop Wokingham
With the market refurbishment starting, we are keen to stress that Wokingham is still open for business and urge residents to continue to support all our shops and market traders.
10 August 2017
- Planning consultation - Arborfield Cross Relief Road
Wokingham Borough Council is urging people to have their say on its newly submitted planning application for Arborfield Cross Relief Road.
03 August 2017
- Overnight closures this week on the A329M
The A329M will be closed overnight tonight (27 July) 28 July and 31 July, between its slip roads with the M4.
27 July 2017
- Works continues on transforming the heart of Wokingham
Work begins later this month to transform the heart of Wokingham market town into a continental-style space of café tables, market stalls, attractive trees and stylish paving designed for all.
25 July 2017
- Free pre-driver training event on August 3
Teenagers in the Wokingham Borough will be starting their journey to becoming a safe new driver at a free pre-driver training event on Thursday August 3.
05 July 2017
- A329M closed overnight 10 and 11 April
The A329M is due to be closed on 10 and 11 April, from 9pm to 6am, between its slip roads with the M4 (junction 10).
03 July 2017
- Emmbrook Road closed 8 to 13 April
A section of Emmbrook Road in Wokingham will be shut from 8 to 13 April for work as part of the new A329 (NCN422) Cycleway.
03 July 2017
- Digital parking enforcement maps
The creation of an online map showing the Wokingham Borough's 500-plus Traffic Regulation Orders (TROs) in one place is due to be decided by Wokingham Borough Council's decision-making executive,...
27 June 2017