Care and health news archive
- New and improved support service for our valued carers
Wokingham Borough Council is reaffirming its commitment to helping unpaid carers by re-launching its Carers Support and Guidance service.
20 March 2023
- Have your say about community safety
Wokingham Borough Council has today launched its annual community safety survey, inviting residents to share any issues or concerns they may have about crime or anti-social behaviour.
14 February 2023
- Online safety campaign for children launches
To coincide with Safer Internet Day, Wokingham Borough Council is reaching out to younger residents and parents to promote online safety advice and resources to keep young and vulnerable people safe
07 February 2023
- Additional funds approved to help those struggling to pay their council tax
Wokingham Borough Council has agreed a proposed £100,000 increase in funding for the council tax reduction scheme to help residents who may experience financial difficulties in paying their council...
03 February 2023
- Loddon Valley is latest to become breastfeeding friendly venue
Loddon Valley Leisure Centre is the latest venue to have gained 'breastfeeding friendly' status as part of an ongoing effort to give families confidence about breastfeeding.
03 February 2023
- Know your HIV status and get tested early
This National HIV Testing Week (6 to 12 February), Wokingham Borough Council is encouraging as many people as possible to get tested and know their HIV status.
02 February 2023
- New NHS mental health service launches
The Mental Health Integrated Community Service, which provides early interventions for people with significant mental illness, has launched in Wokingham Borough.
30 January 2023
- How residents can vote anonymously if their safety is at risk
Wokingham Borough Council is committed to ensuring that all residents, who are eligible to vote at the local elections on Thursday 4 May, can register safely
26 January 2023
- Crowdfund to support community through cost of living crisis
A historically difficult and financially challenging winter means more people are struggling than ever before. In response to the cost of a living crisis a crowdfund has been launched to support...
18 January 2023
- Extra £20,000 to help families during festive break
Families in Wokingham Borough will be given more than £20,000 to help with the cost of living during the festive break.
15 December 2022
- Sustainable warmth scheme to help reduce energy costs
Residents on low incomes could get up to £25,000 of home improvements free of charge. Anyone who owns and lives in a property with a low energy efficiency rating could make use of measures like loft...
15 December 2022
- Lucky winners reap the rewards of getting active
One lucky boy is riding to school with joy after he won a brand-new micro scooter in a competition aimed at keeping children active.
14 December 2022
- Ready to make it a warmer winter
Air fryers, slow cookers and other energy efficient items are on offer to residents for free if they are struggling this winter. The Warmer Winter project has been launched by Hardship Alliance...
09 December 2022
- Creating an inclusive library
Wokingham Borough Council's new library at the Carnival Hub, continues to show its credentials as one of the most inclusive libraries in the area with the creation of a new guide designed to make the...
28 November 2022
- Keeping people safe from abuse and neglect is everybody's business
As part of Safeguarding Adults Week, Wokingham Borough Council is calling on residents to come together to help protect members of our community that may be vulnerable or at risk of harm.
25 November 2022
- Celebrating achievements during care leavers week
Last month, care-experienced young people who have formally been looked after by Wokingham Borough Council) came together to mark National Care Leavers Week
24 November 2022
- Colleagues and local voluntary sector services sleep out to help out
Colleagues from Wokingham Borough Council and local voluntary sector services are getting their sleeping bags and blankets ready for a night under the stars in Howard Palmer Gardens to raise money...
22 November 2022
- Committed to tackling all forms of gender based violence
To coincide with White Ribbon Day and the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women on 25 November, Wokingham Borough Council has reaffirmed its commitment to tackling all forms...
17 November 2022
- Work continues to provide most efficient service
Wokingham Borough Council, like all local government organisations across the UK, is facing huge financial challenges to ensure vital services are protected and its residents receive the help and...
17 November 2022
- Proposed adult social care reform from central government could cost council £25million a year
The borough council is continuing to campaign on behalf of residents over the proposed adult social care funding and reform.
15 November 2022