Care and health news archive
- Wokingham Borough Council adopts Homelessness and Rough Sleeping Strategy
Homelessness can be devastating for individuals and families, and have long term consequences for those affected.
24 January 2020
- New technology improving the lives of our most vulnerable
Helping vulnerable adults and their carers stay safe and happy in their own homes is crucial. Our specialist Technology Enabled Care team uses the latest technology to improve families quality of...
13 January 2020
- Council supports people with learning disability and their families
Wokingham Borough Council has committed £19.8million to make Wokingham Borough, with the support of its partners, the very best place for people with a learning disability to live, learn, work and...
27 December 2019
- Council supports residents on the road to recovery
Wokingham Borough Council is making the transfer back home easier for residents leaving hospital while freeing up hospital beds for those awaiting procedures
20 December 2019
- Wokingham Borough Council to adopt homelessness and rough sleeping strategy
Wokingham Borough Council is committed to supporting those at risk of homelessness and people who sleep rough. The council moves closer to adopting a new strategy to tackle homelessness and rough...
17 December 2019
- Increase in cases of norovirus 'winter vomiting bug' prompts advice from Public Health England
As outbreaks of norovirus see a sharp increase right across the South East, Wokingham Borough Councils public health team is urging residents to take simple steps to help stop the spread of the...
12 December 2019
- Council helps residents to keep warm and keep well this winter
Wokingham Borough Council is encouraging residents to look out for each other this winter
10 December 2019
- Wokingham Borough Council announces Christmas opening hours
Wokingham Borough Council has announced its office opening hours for this Christmas and New Year period.
10 December 2019
- Council announces launch of new improvements for vulnerable adults
Wokingham Borough Council has today launched a new streamlined adult social care department that will provide vulnerable adults across the borough with a more efficient and improved quality of...
01 November 2019
- Council helps vital befriending charity find a new home
Wokingham Borough Council has come to the aid of local befriending charity The Link Visiting Scheme
25 October 2019
- Council launches consultation to help further support volunteer and community groups
Wokingham Borough Council has today announced the launch of a five week consultation that will help shape its new voluntary sector strategy
22 October 2019
- Council reaches out to carers across the borough
Do you care for a friend or family member? Would they be able to manage without your help? You may not realise you're a carer because you just see looking after them as part of your normal life.
17 October 2019
- Sporting memories helping to tackle loneliness and isolation in Wokingham
Sport England's Sporting Memories project is helping some of the Wokingham Borough's older residents meet new people. Whether it's playing football, golf or badminton, perhaps just being a spectator,...
09 October 2019
- Together we can tackle child abuse
We all play a key role in protecting children and young people from abuse and neglect but many people don't act because they fear they might be wrong.
07 October 2019
- Shops in Wokingham and Newbury tested for underage knife sales
Trading Standards officers from the Public Protection Partnership supported the Thames Valley Police in Wokingham and Newbury with their ongoing work in relation to knife crime with a series of test...
03 October 2019
- Celebrations in honour of International Day of Older Persons
Tai Chi, Zumba Gold and beauty treatments were enjoyed by guests celebrating the International Day of Older Persons at Loddon Valley Leisure Centre, on 1 October.
03 October 2019
- Council supports national campaign to increase residents chances of giving up smoking
Wokingham Borough Council is proud to be supporting Public Health England campaign Stoptober
27 September 2019
- Help Wokingham Borough Council achieve carbon neutrality
Do you have any ideas to help Wokingham Borough Council save the world? Wokingham Borough Council is asking residents for their ideas on reducing the council's carbon footprint in a survey that...
25 September 2019
- Grubs up for 134 families during the summer
Thanks to the generosity of volunteers and local organisations, The Grub Club served 641 meals across 11 days of the summer holidays to families in need in the borough. To recognise the volunteers'...
25 September 2019
- Join Wokingham's Wellbeing Conference on World Mental Health Day
To mark World Mental Health Day, residents across the borough are invited to join the Wokingham Wellbeing conference on October 10, at the Holiday Inn, Winnersh Triangle. The event, which is now in...
24 September 2019