Care and health news archive
- Council reaches out to carers across the borough
Do you care for a friend or family member? Would they be able to manage without your help? You may not realise you're a carer because you just see looking after them as part of your normal life.
17 October 2019
- Sporting memories helping to tackle loneliness and isolation in Wokingham
Sport England's Sporting Memories project is helping some of the Wokingham Borough's older residents meet new people. Whether it's playing football, golf or badminton, perhaps just being a spectator,...
09 October 2019
- Together we can tackle child abuse
We all play a key role in protecting children and young people from abuse and neglect but many people don't act because they fear they might be wrong.
07 October 2019
- Shops in Wokingham and Newbury tested for underage knife sales
Trading Standards officers from the Public Protection Partnership supported the Thames Valley Police in Wokingham and Newbury with their ongoing work in relation to knife crime with a series of test...
03 October 2019
- Celebrations in honour of International Day of Older Persons
Tai Chi, Zumba Gold and beauty treatments were enjoyed by guests celebrating the International Day of Older Persons at Loddon Valley Leisure Centre, on 1 October.
03 October 2019
- Council supports national campaign to increase residents chances of giving up smoking
Wokingham Borough Council is proud to be supporting Public Health England campaign Stoptober
27 September 2019
- Help Wokingham Borough Council achieve carbon neutrality
Do you have any ideas to help Wokingham Borough Council save the world? Wokingham Borough Council is asking residents for their ideas on reducing the council's carbon footprint in a survey that...
25 September 2019
- Grubs up for 134 families during the summer
Thanks to the generosity of volunteers and local organisations, The Grub Club served 641 meals across 11 days of the summer holidays to families in need in the borough. To recognise the volunteers'...
25 September 2019
- Join Wokingham's Wellbeing Conference on World Mental Health Day
To mark World Mental Health Day, residents across the borough are invited to join the Wokingham Wellbeing conference on October 10, at the Holiday Inn, Winnersh Triangle. The event, which is now in...
24 September 2019
- Council offers help to those looking to pedal more around the borough and beyond
Do you sit in traffic watching cyclists passing you by and wish you could swap your four wheels for two? What's holding you back? Do you know how to cycle competently on but need a little help with...
19 September 2019
- Local Offer Live Day for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities
Wokingham Borough Council is pleased to announce this year's Local Offer Live Day (previously named CAN Family Fun and Information Day) will take place on Saturday 12 October, between 11am and 3pm at...
17 September 2019
- Have your say on our draft Homelessness and Rough Sleeping Strategy
Wokingham Borough Council is committed to supporting those at risk of homelessness and people who sleep rough. The council has a new draft strategy to tackle homelessness and rough sleep
10 September 2019
- Join the celebration of age this October
To celebrate the International Day of Older Persons on 1 October, Wokingham Borough Council along with partners is hosting a Celebrate Age event at the newly refurbished Loddon Valley Leisure Centre,...
09 September 2019
- Mums support programme launches in Wokingham
Wokingham Borough Council's partner, Places Leisure has announced the launch of Mums' Zone, the new holistic health and wellbeing initiative for mums and their babies.
09 August 2019
- Mayor supports technology assisted care opportunities in Wokingham
Borough Mayor Cllr Bill Soane has been helping raise awareness amongst health and social care staff about the vast array of technology now available to help and support vulnerable residents to live...
02 August 2019
- Berkshire West wins additional government funding for children's mental health pilot project
Children and young people in Wokingham schools will be given more mental health support after Berkshire West was awarded extra funding to extend the pilot of a new national scheme.
30 July 2019
- Council builds integrated care partnership with local care providers
Wokingham Borough Council has announced that it is now part of the newly formed Berkshire West Integrated Care Partnership (BWICP) which offers a new efficient and effective way of working with six...
30 July 2019
- Wokingham Mental Health Team receive accreditation from the Royal College of Psychiatrists
Wokingham Borough Council is pleased to announce that their Community Mental Health Team (CMHT) has received the prestigious Accreditation for community mental health services (ACOMHS) from the Royal...
24 July 2019
- Council increases investment to support residents in their homes
Wokingham Borough Council has invested an additional £1.6million across the Adult Social Care department this year as part of their continuing focus to support residents with additional needs to stay...
18 July 2019
- Wokingham Borough Council's fun day for vulnerable adults
Some of the Borough's most vulnerable adults attended the first-ever inclusion event at Dinton Pastures Country Park, on 3 July, as a part of Wokingham Borough Council's new initiative to combat...
15 July 2019