Family and education news archive
- Beat the Street Wokingham winners announced
Wokingham's Beat the Street challenge has come to an amazing conclusion this week with 6,263 participants racking up 151,531 active travel miles! Beat the Street transformed the town centre,...
27 July 2021
- All Wokingham borough libraries set to re-open on 19 July
Wokingham Borough Council is pleased to announce that library buildings in the borough will be reopening from Monday 19 July, in line with the easing of national restrictions.
22 July 2021
- Wokingham Borough Council launches new child exploitation campaign
This month, Wokingham Borough Council are launching a new campaign, Let's Talk About X, to raise awareness and understanding about child exploitation
21 July 2021
- Improving footpaths around Waingels College in Woodley
Footpaths on the main route into Waingels College in Woodley have been improved. Repairs were completed on the footpaths along Denmark Avenue earlier this month, by Wokingham Borough Council's...
19 July 2021
- An open letter from Cllr John Halsall to schools, parents/carers and pupils
It has been a challenging year for everyone involved in education. I am impressed by the way in which everyone has come together; pupils, parents, carers, teachers and other support staff; to ensure...
16 July 2021
- Youth council hold inaugural meeting
Wokingham Borough's new Youth Council, coordinated by Wokingham Borough Council, launched last week (Tuesday 6 July), with a welcome from former Prime Minister and MP for Maidenhead the Rt Hon....
14 July 2021
- Free school meals to continue through summer holidays
Wokingham Borough Council is using its remaining allocation of the government's Covid Local Support grant to ensure pupils who receive benefits-related free school meals during term time continue to...
09 July 2021
- Name revealed for new school in Wokingham
A new primary school in Wokingham will be called St Cecilia's Church of England Primary School. The 210 place school at Matthewsgreen, which will be open to all pupils, has been named after the...
08 July 2021
- Wokingham Borough Council offers support to residents applying for the EU Settlement Scheme
Wokingham Borough Council is now offering assistance to residents who require additional help applying for UK immigration status through the EU Settlement Scheme. EU citizens and their family members...
25 June 2021
- Where to get your free fobs for Beat the Street
The popular physical activity game Beat the Street gets underway across Wokingham Town Centre, Finchampstead and Woosehill next week. People of all ages are invited to ditch the car and get active as...
03 June 2021
- New charity and community hub reaches milestone
The Wokingham Charity and Community Hub, the first of its kind in the Wokingham Borough, took a step closer this week after planning permission was granted for its new home at Waterford House.
25 May 2021
- New entrance to Addington School complete
A new entrance has been created at Addington School in Woodley to help students and parents access the site more easily. School buses and parents will now be able to get in and out of the site...
19 May 2021
- Foster families recognised on Covid Roll of Honour
Two foster care families have been recognised on the Wokingham Borough Mayor's Covid Roll of Honour. They have been selected for going the extra mile to make a difference during the pandemic and help...
18 May 2021
- Eight great new fostering families - Foster Care Fortnight 2021
Eight amazing families have become foster carers with Wokingham Borough Council since the Covid-19 pandemic began. Despite the challenges of the last year these people have stepped up to make a...
14 May 2021
- Council invites you to join in the fun and Beat the Street
Wokingham Borough Council has announced today that our borough is to be transformed into a giant community-wide physical activity challenge next month with residents being invited to 'Beat the...
12 May 2021
- Council announces dedicated support for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder
Wokingham Borough Council has announced a new resource base for secondary school students with Autism Spectrum Disorder
11 May 2021
- Foster Care Fortnight 2021 Our amazing carers
Fostering is one of the most rewarding things you can do. It comes with challenges but none which cannot be overcome with support from our wider fostering family at the council. It could be you...
11 May 2021
- Wokingham Borough schools elect Youth MP
Pupils from senior schools across Wokingham Borough have elected a new Youth MP and a Vice Youth MP
05 May 2021
- Leaders from Farley Hill Primary visit new Arborfield school
The leaders from Farley Hill Primary School have been given a tour of their new school site in Arborfield
26 April 2021
- Council to receive further DEFRA funding for air quality improvements
DEFRA has allocated an air quality grant to allow Wokingham Borough Council together with neighbouring councils Bracknell Forest and West Berkshire to work with the PPP to deliver ambitious and...
09 April 2021