Family and education news archive
- Council consulting on changes to home to school transport and travel assistance
Wokingham Borough Council is reviewing and consulting on its home to school transport and travel assistance policies with the aim of improving services for children and young people, particularly...
21 September 2020
- Major milestone for new SEND school in Winnersh
Proposals for a new special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) school in Winnersh are set to reach a major milestone next Thursday (24 September) when the council's executive committee is due...
17 September 2020
- Green home grants now available to local residents
Wokingham Borough Council is encouraging homeowners and landlords to apply for a government green homes grant towards the cost of installing energy efficient and low-carbon heating improvements
10 September 2020
- Borough Mayor congratulates young residents on animal trail at Buckhurst Meadows
Cllr Malcolm Richards greeted the winning children in Wokingham to hand out their prizes.
09 September 2020
- Fostering recruitment continues despite COVID-19
Wokingham Borough Council continues to recruit high quality foster carers despite the difficulties of the COVID-19 pandemic. We've switched our in-person recruitment stands for online recruitment...
08 September 2020
- New bus routes to ensure safe school travel
Seven new dedicated school buses have started this week as Wokingham Borough Council works to ensure children are safe on their journey to school
02 September 2020
- Wokingham Children's Book Festival goes online this October
We're excited to announce the third annual Wokingham Children's Book Festival takes place on October 17 and 18. Like many of this year's book festivals, we'll be online with some top authors talking...
01 September 2020
- Travelling back to school safely
Wokingham Borough Council has been working alongside our school transport providers to ensure a safe journey for those who travel slightly further to school.
25 August 2020
- Congratulations to all GCSE students
Socially distanced and electronic GCSE results were issued to thousands of teenagers across Wokingham Borough today (Thursday, 20 August). It was an unprecedented results day for students across the...
20 August 2020
- Celebrating A-Level success across the borough
Students across Wokingham Borough are celebrating a different kind of A-Level results day, with COVID-19 changing the way results were calculated and given out. Some schools across the borough sent...
13 August 2020
- Helping parents support the emotional and educational needs of their children
Wokingham Borough Council is reaching out to parents to raise awareness of courses available to help them support their children's emotional and educational needs
12 August 2020
- Council launches campaign to break the cycle and protect our younger residents
Wokingham Borough Council is today launching its new bike safety campaign Break the Cycle to encourage cyclists from across the borough to set a good example to our younger generation by wearing a...
06 August 2020
- Academy trust chosen for new primary school in Wokingham
A new primary school for north Wokingham is a step closer after The Keys Academy Trust was approved by the Secretary of State for Education to run it. The 210-place school, which is being built with...
05 August 2020
- Multi-million pound expansion of Addington School nears completion
Construction work on the £4.4million single-storey block at Addington School in Woodley is almost complete. Fit out of the building is now entering the final stages, meaning the Ofsted-rated...
31 July 2020
- Some 4,600 food parcels delivered to borough residents
This Friday will see the final food parcels delivered by the Wokingham Borough Community Response as nationally the shielding programme is paused from 1 August
29 July 2020
- Council launches free online service to support young peoples mental health and well being
Wokingham Borough Council has today announced the launch of Kooth a free online counselling and emotional well-being support service for its younger residents aged 11 to 18 years
28 July 2020
- Council launches project to strengthen the identity of Wokingham Borough and grow its economy
We are proud of our beautiful, vibrant borough and the sense of community that has been so prevalent during the Coronavirus pandemic pride as we have all come together to support each other
23 July 2020
- Council announces construction to begin on new community centre in Shinfield
A new community centre for Shinfield took a major step forward this week as contracts were signed with LifeBuild who will lead on construction of this exciting new partnership project
17 July 2020
- Statement from John Halsall, Leader of Wokingham Borough Council
Wokingham Borough Council completely supports the message, principles and all the aims of Black Lives Matters in the UK
19 June 2020
- Learn from home: Online adult education programmes
COVID-19 has caused many people to lose jobs or have time at home and Wokingham Borough Council is offering them the opportunity to learn something new or build their skillsets in order to get ready...
27 May 2020