Leisure and libraries news archive
- New and improved destination play park is coming to california country park
Wokingham borough residents are about to get another destination play park in the borough at California Country Park
22 September 2020
- Wokingham Children's Book Festival goes online this October
We're excited to announce the third annual Wokingham Children's Book Festival takes place on October 17 and 18. Like many of this year's book festivals, we'll be online with some top authors talking...
01 September 2020
- Eco-friendly plastic kerbs part of new cycleway
Plastic kerbstones made from recycled materials have been installed as part of a new cycleway to help people travel in and out of Wokingham town centre. Work along London Road in Wokingham is nearing...
18 August 2020
- Splash into action at the new Bulmershe Leisure Centre
The multi-million pound Bulmershe Leisure Centre in Woodley has officially opened its doors today (17 August) welcoming guests, members and VIPs from across the borough.
17 August 2020
- £2.4m Dinton Activity Centre plans get go-ahead
Plans for a brand new Dinton Activity Centre were given the green light at latest planning committee (Wednesday 12 August). The £2.4 million scheme features a new two-storey building that complements...
14 August 2020
- Outdoor fitness training permit is free
Our new Outdoor Fitness Training Permit gives personal trainers and coaches the freedom to move their individual and group sessions outside into our council-managed parks where social distancing is...
05 August 2020
- Borough libraries start to re-open
With national lockdown restrictions now being eased we're happy to announce Wokingham Borough libraries will begin to reopen from next Monday 3 August, starting with Wokingham and Woodley.
29 July 2020
- Council launches project to strengthen the identity of Wokingham Borough and grow its economy
We are proud of our beautiful, vibrant borough and the sense of community that has been so prevalent during the Coronavirus pandemic pride as we have all come together to support each other
23 July 2020
- Leisure centres set to reopen on Monday 3 August
We're pleased to announce Loddon Valley Leisure Centre, St Crispin's Leisure Centre, Arborfield Leisure Centre and Ryeish Green Sports Hub will reopen on Monday 3 August.
22 July 2020
- 13 nature parks you need to know about
Wokingham Borough Council is inviting residents to discover 13 nature parks right on their doorstep, this Love Parks Week. Covering an impressive 120 hectares, the parks are bursting with native...
17 July 2020
- Brand new play area coming to California Country Park
Wokingham Borough Council is set to install a brand new destination play area at California Country Park. The new facility will be an upgrade from the existing play park, complete with new equipment,...
16 July 2020
- Summer has arrived at the Dinton Activity Centre
Splash into action this summer with a series of water based activities at the Dinton Activity Centre. The team has worked extensively to produce a summer holiday activity programme that meets the...
13 July 2020
- Improved access to Earley beauty spot
Access to a riverside beauty spot in Earley has been made even easier for cyclists and pedestrians. Wokingham Borough Council has completed the construction of a new footpath from Wokingham Road and...
08 July 2020
- Wildflower meadows help provide path for insects
Bees, butterflies and other pollinating insects will be given an easy path through Wokingham borough thanks to a growing network of wildflower planting areas across the borough. Wokingham Borough...
07 July 2020
- Wokingham Borough libraries kick start their annual Summer Reading Challenge
Wokingham Borough libraries are signing up new recruits for their Silly Squad, celebrating funny books and bringing happiness along the way
06 July 2020
- Council announce phased re-opening of playgrounds
Playgrounds are set to swing back into action from Saturday 4 July. In line with the Government's latest guidance, Wokingham Borough Council is working hard to safely open its play areas to the...
03 July 2020
- Council's libraries to remain closed
To ensure the safety of its residents and libraries staff, Wokingham Borough Council will not re-open its libraries on 4 July. The decision to keep libraries closed has been as difficult as our...
02 July 2020
- Open air cinema nights return to Dinton Pastures
Missed watching your favourite movies on the big screen? Get your picnic blankets and popcorn at the ready, as Dinton Pastures Country Park prepares to host a series of socially distanced, open air...
01 July 2020
- Love where you live, join the Dinton litter pick
Residents across the Borough are being urged to love where they live by joining the Dinton Litter Pick.
Littering has increased during lockdown; as visitor numbers surged, so has the rubbish left...
10 June 2020
- Demolition of former Carnival Pool and Fitness Centre well under way
Work to strip and demolish the former Carnival Pool and Fitness Centre in Wokingham is continuing at pace and signals the start of the final phase of our ambitious regeneration scheme in the town.
02 June 2020