Leisure and libraries news archive
- Bringing a new library to the heart of Twyford
Wokingham Borough Council is restoring and bringing back to the life one of the borough's most historic buildings to provide a permanent home for Tywford Library.
21 March 2023
- Thousands of new trees to honour borough's covid losses
A commemorative woodland is set to be planted in Wokingham Borough to honour those who lost their lives during the coronavirus pandemic. The council is poised to agree a lasting memorial at the...
14 March 2023
- Owl be back! Numbers soar under conservation scheme
Barn owls are on the rise in Wokingham Borough after decades of decline, thanks to a long-running conservation scheme backed by the council. In the 20 years since the Wokingham Borough Barn Owl...
08 March 2023
- Ramblers and council join forces to open walking routes for all
Hikers of all abilities can plan their trips around the borough more easily thanks to an in-depth new online tool prepared by Wokingham Borough Council with help from Loddon Valley Ramblers. The...
14 February 2023
- Loddon Valley is latest to become breastfeeding friendly venue
Loddon Valley Leisure Centre is the latest venue to have gained 'breastfeeding friendly' status as part of an ongoing effort to give families confidence about breastfeeding.
03 February 2023
- Work starts on new Twyford Library
The new Twyford Library has taken another step forward after Wokingham Borough Council entered into a lease agreement with The Polehampton Trust. Work has also started this month following the...
24 January 2023
- Encouraging a love of reading at an early age
Wokingham Borough Council is encouraging families to make the most of BookTrust activities, which aim to get all children reading regardless of their background.
13 January 2023
- Arts and Culture World Café explores new opportunities in the Borough
Wokingham Borough Council brought together town and parish councils, local charities, cultural organisations and businesses to explore new opportunities to make arts and culture thrive in the...
19 December 2022
- 'Leaf' your legacy by planting free trees from council
Residents of Wokingham borough can claim one or more free trees to plant on their land as part of a campaign to improve the environment and fight climate change. Following a successful pilot round,...
19 December 2022
- Lucky winners reap the rewards of getting active
One lucky boy is riding to school with joy after he won a brand-new micro scooter in a competition aimed at keeping children active.
14 December 2022
- More than £600 raised through library birthday celebrations
Events held to celebrate the 35th birthday of Lower Earley Library have raised more than £600 for charity.
09 December 2022
- Branching out for feedback on protecting our trees
Residents' views are being sought on proposals to clearly outline how existing trees are cared for, and new ones are planted, across Wokingham borough. Wokingham Borough Council is consulting on its...
28 November 2022
- Creating an inclusive library
Wokingham Borough Council's new library at the Carnival Hub, continues to show its credentials as one of the most inclusive libraries in the area with the creation of a new guide designed to make the...
28 November 2022
- Charity concerts will show hub has cultural credentials
The first concerts to be performed at the new Carnival Hub in Wokingham are taking place this weekend and will be raising money for a very worthy cause.
16 November 2022
- Easier to find what you need with community directory relaunch
Wokingham Borough Council is encouraging residents to make use of the Community Directory, a free online search tool, following the relaunch of the service.
16 November 2022
- Help us shape and enhance the future library service
Help shape and enhance the future library service is the message from Wokingham Borough Council this month (November) as it launches a customer feedback survey.
08 November 2022
- Celebrating 35 years of joy at Lower Earley Library
A series of events are being held to celebrate 35 years since the opening of Lower Earley Library, including a quiz, charity coffee morning and much more.
04 November 2022
- Town abuzz during book festival
Hundreds of young readers enjoyed the exciting return of the Wokingham Children's Book Festival held during the weekend of October 15 and 16.
02 November 2022
- Carnival Hub recognised as finalist for industry award
The Carnival Hub, Wokingham Borough Council's flagship community building, has been named as a finalist for the Thames Valley Property Awards.
28 October 2022
- Next phase of Wokingham to Arborfield greenway begins
Work is about to start on the next phase of Wokingham Borough Council's greenways, a network of typically traffic-free paths linking key destinations across the borough. The authority's contractor...
13 October 2022