Leisure and libraries news archive
- Improved access to Earley beauty spot
Access to a riverside beauty spot in Earley has been made even easier for cyclists and pedestrians. Wokingham Borough Council has completed the construction of a new footpath from Wokingham Road and...
08 July 2020
- Wildflower meadows help provide path for insects
Bees, butterflies and other pollinating insects will be given an easy path through Wokingham borough thanks to a growing network of wildflower planting areas across the borough. Wokingham Borough...
07 July 2020
- Wokingham Borough libraries kick start their annual Summer Reading Challenge
Wokingham Borough libraries are signing up new recruits for their Silly Squad, celebrating funny books and bringing happiness along the way
06 July 2020
- Council announce phased re-opening of playgrounds
Playgrounds are set to swing back into action from Saturday 4 July. In line with the Government's latest guidance, Wokingham Borough Council is working hard to safely open its play areas to the...
03 July 2020
- Council's libraries to remain closed
To ensure the safety of its residents and libraries staff, Wokingham Borough Council will not re-open its libraries on 4 July. The decision to keep libraries closed has been as difficult as our...
02 July 2020
- Open air cinema nights return to Dinton Pastures
Missed watching your favourite movies on the big screen? Get your picnic blankets and popcorn at the ready, as Dinton Pastures Country Park prepares to host a series of socially distanced, open air...
01 July 2020
- Love where you live, join the Dinton litter pick
Residents across the Borough are being urged to love where they live by joining the Dinton Litter Pick.
Littering has increased during lockdown; as visitor numbers surged, so has the rubbish left...
10 June 2020
- Demolition of former Carnival Pool and Fitness Centre well under way
Work to strip and demolish the former Carnival Pool and Fitness Centre in Wokingham is continuing at pace and signals the start of the final phase of our ambitious regeneration scheme in the town.
02 June 2020
- Dinton Pastures Country Show postponed until 2021
Due to Covid-19, Wokingham Borough Council has taken the decision to postpone Dinton Pastures Country Show, which was set to take place on Sunday 9 August. The event, which was due to be the first...
28 May 2020
- Council re-open its country park car parks
Wokingham Borough Council is today (Wednesday 13 May) re-opening its country park car parks, with limited spaces at Dinton Pastures and California Country Parks.
At Dinton Pastures, the main...
13 May 2020
- Dinton Family Fun Weekend cancelled
Due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, we have made the decision to cancel the annual Dinton Family Fun Weekend. For the last 10 years, the event has been held over the spring half term, traditionally...
07 May 2020
- Help us keep our country parks open
Wokingham Borough Council is keeping its green spaces open and accessible to local people during the current crisis and we need public support to keep doing so
17 April 2020
- Carnival Pool and fitness centre demolition starts
Wokingham Borough Council has brought forward the demolition of the Carnival Pool and Fitness Centre. Demolition will start on 20 April.
15 April 2020
- World class carbon- busting crusaders
Shinfield St Marys Junior School has won carbon neutral gold status from One Carbon World
18 March 2020
- New chapter for Arborfield library
Borough Mayor, Cllr Bill Soane, has officially opened Arborfields pop-up library in its new home at Arborfield Green Community Centre
09 March 2020
- Construction of multi-million pound Carnival complex starts summer 2020
Work starts this summer on the multi-million pound Carnival complex featuring a new larger leisure centre and library. This means from 10 May 2020, Carnival Pool and Fitness Centre will close its...
03 March 2020
- Multi-million pound Bulmershe Leisure Centre set to open ahead of schedule
The brand new £14.5million Bulmershe Leisure Centre will officially open its doors at 6am on Wednesday 22 April– almost 12 weeks earlier than originally planned.
02 March 2020
- Wokingham regeneration nominated for prestigious planning industry award
Wokingham borough council has been named as a finalist in the category for excellence in planning for a successful economy at the Royal Town Planning Institute Awards for Planning Excellence 2020
27 February 2020
- Plans submitted for a £1.8m Dinton Activity Centre
Wokingham Borough Council has submitted plans for a new £1.8m Dinton Activity Centre that reflect public feedback from consultation and community drop-in sessions.
25 February 2020
- Council supports residents with long term health conditions
We are proud to be helping to kick start a fantastic national Sport England campaign 'We are Undefeatable' to help the one in four people in England who live with a long-term health condition.
20 February 2020