Getting rid of large white goods for residents in Wokingham borough just became much easier thanks to the council’s improved large unwanted items collection service.
From this month (March), residents will be able to arrange for collection of up to five bulky items for just £56 per collection.
To make it as easy as possible to get those difficult items taken away, residents will be able to book online, up to eight weeks in advance, for collection on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. Residents unable to book online can call 0118 979 8298 and ask for a call back.
It provides a simpler option for residents as collection of fridges and freezers are now included in the five items whereas the old system charged a separate price for these of £32.10 per item.
All collections are now £56, whereas residents previously had to choose from more complex pricing options based on the type of goods and collection days.
What we collect
Items we collect include:
- Garden furniture including chairs and tables
- Household furniture, bed bases, mattresses, sofas, wardrobes, tables, chairs
- Washing machines, tumble dryer and dishwashers
- Boxes or bags of household rubbish
- Televisions and computer monitors
- Fridges, freezers and fridge freezers
A full list of items we are able to collect can be found on the online form when booking your collection.
Making it easier for residents
“Some residents may not be aware we are able to help dispose of this type of waste at a fair price and efficiently through the council,” said Cllr Michael Firmager, deputy executive member for environment and leisure.
“Providing this improved service means it’s even easier for our residents to have large items taken away. Our new, simpler collections will save residents a trip to the tip if they’re too busy or stop it being disposed of incorrectly, reducing the risk of fly-tipping in our beautiful countryside”
To arrange a collection, visit www.wokingham.gov.uk and search ‘bulky waste’. Those who are unable to book online can still request a collection on the phone by calling 0118 979 8298.
Residents are also able to take these items to our household waste recycling centres, free of charge, at Smallmead (RG2 0RP) or Longshot Lane (RG12 1RL).
You can also:
- Click here to give items away using the Freegle website.
- Download the Re3-cyclopedia app to find out what you can recycle and where.
- You can also donate unwanted furniture to Age UK. Visit the Age UK website for details.