Planning and housing news archive
- Larger emergency planning zone for AWE Burghfield
If you live in Spencers Wood, Three Mile Cross and Grazeley please look out for an important communication coming from West Berkshire Council about the emergency planning zone around AWE Burghfield...
18 May 2020
- New community tree garden for Woodley precinct
A community garden will be created in Woodley precinct to smarten up the town centre and help boost the local economy as it responds to the COVID-19 pandemic. It will be created around the trees...
14 May 2020
- Milestone for local planning as council adopts Arborfield and Barkham Neighbourhood Plan
Local planning in Wokingham Borough reached a significant milestone last week (22 April) when the council adopted the Arborfield and Barkham Neighbourhood Plan
30 April 2020
- Carnival Pool and fitness centre demolition starts
Wokingham Borough Council has brought forward the demolition of the Carnival Pool and Fitness Centre. Demolition will start on 20 April.
15 April 2020
- Construction of multi-million pound Carnival complex starts summer 2020
Work starts this summer on the multi-million pound Carnival complex featuring a new larger leisure centre and library. This means from 10 May 2020, Carnival Pool and Fitness Centre will close its...
03 March 2020
- Wokingham regeneration nominated for prestigious planning industry award
Wokingham borough council has been named as a finalist in the category for excellence in planning for a successful economy at the Royal Town Planning Institute Awards for Planning Excellence 2020
27 February 2020
- Consultation starts on Local Plan Update
Wokingham Borough Council is asking its residents to provide their views on the draft Local Plan Update, which will set where and how development can take place in the years ahead.
05 February 2020
- Wokingham Without Parish Council selected as preferred operator for new community centre
Wokingham Borough Council selected Wokingham Without Parish Council as the preferred operator for a new community centre at its January executive meeting last night (30 January). The new community...
31 January 2020
- Wokingham Borough Council adopts Homelessness and Rough Sleeping Strategy
Homelessness can be devastating for individuals and families, and have long term consequences for those affected.
24 January 2020
- Environmental protection and quality of life at the heart of the draft Local Plan
The draft Local Plan update is due to be unveiled on 15 January at a meeting of the extraordinary executive, and if agreed a public consultation on it would be launched in February.
09 January 2020
- Wokingham Borough Council opens door to new council housing
Wokingham Borough Council opened the doors to 11 newly constructed social rent homes, in Tape Lane, Hurst. It is the first traditional council housing of its kind in over 20 years and a milestone...
25 November 2019
- Grand opening of Wokingham town centre Premier Inn
It's time to save the date in your diaries as the new Wokingham town centre Premier Inn hotel at Elms Field is officially opened by the Wokingham Borough Mayor, Cllr Bill Soane, on Friday November 15...
12 November 2019
- New community centre coming to Shinfield
A new community centre for Shinfield has just taken a big step forward with planning approval. Now granted.
Shinfield Parish Council and Wokingham Borough Council have been working together on the...
08 November 2019
- 'Fighting Fund' to protect borough against unwanted developments
Wokingham Borough Council's decision-making executive has approved a £630,000 'fighting fund' to help it defend its planning decisions against speculative developers' appeals to the Planning...
04 November 2019
- Local school children enjoy tour of Tape Lane development in Hurst
Pupils from St Nicholas CE Primary School donned hard hats and high-vis jackets, as they replaced their usual classroom lessons with a construction talk at nearby Tape Lane development in Hurst....
01 November 2019
- Council takes major step forward in its major highways programme
Wokingham Borough Council takes another step forward in its fight against congestion as its major highways project reaches another milestone with the final section of the North Wokingham Distributor...
22 October 2019
- Have your say on adoption of new infrastructure
The procedure for adopting new roads, open spaces, landscaping and play areas once housing developments have been completed is now the focus of special group set up specifically to examine it.
04 October 2019
- Council cleared in Hare Hatch Sheeplands planning enforcement investigation
Officers and councillors at Wokingham Borough Council have been cleared of any maladministration or unprofessional conduct in an independent investigation into the council's planning enforcement...
27 August 2019
- Almost 47000 residents say government-imposed housing target is too high
Wokingham Borough Council has been overwhelmed by the number of responses to the Housing Target Consultation, with just under 50,000 individual responses received of which 46,807 (94%) said no to the...
21 August 2019
- Council pushes forward with Arborfield war memorial
Wokingham Borough Council's plans to install a memorial stone in Arborfield, dedicated to the brave members of the Arborfield Royal Observer Corps, took a major step forward this week as the stone...
06 August 2019