Planning and housing news archive
- Helping Freely Fruity continue to blossom
New community orchards could start to blossom across the borough, as Wokingham Borough Council has worked with Freely Fruity to establish a new tree nursery on land between Barkham and Finchampstead....
22 March 2023
- Ideas needed to help shape new community hub
Residents living in or near Arborfield Green can help Wokingham Borough Council to ensure the area's forthcoming new community centre becomes a thriving and vibrant venue for everyone. The former...
21 March 2023
- First set of bricks laid at Gorse Ride
A significant milestone has been reached at Wokingham Borough Council's flagship regeneration scheme at Gorse Ride in Finchampstead where the first set of bricks for the first new houses in Phase 2A...
21 March 2023
- Residents and council defend village from unsuitable development
A proposal for about 200 new homes in Hurst, which many residents opposed, will not be going ahead after Wokingham Borough Council's decision to refuse the scheme was upheld by a planning inspector....
15 March 2023
- Our fairer vision for new housing shared with Government
Ministers are being urged to enable a lower, more sustainable amount of new housing to be built in Wokingham Borough under possible reforms to the national planning system. Following a long period of...
06 March 2023
- Local pupils artwork unveiled at Gorse Ride
Wokingham Borough Mayor Cllr Caroline Smith and executive member for housing Cllr Stephen Conway attended a ribbon cutting ceremony to unveil artwork produced by local children and their families at...
27 February 2023
- Social rents capped to help with cost of living crisis
Social rents in Wokingham Borough are set to go up by less than the maximum allowed by the Government to help residents through the cost of living crisis
15 February 2023
- Next milestone reached for solar farm as contractor appointed
A new solar farm on land between Barkham and Finchampstead has taken a big step forward after Wokingham Borough Council appointed Bouygues Energies and Services, a global leader for designing and...
14 February 2023
- Residents urged to help borough grow more sustainably
Fewer new homes may need to be built in Wokingham Borough if proposed changes to the national planning system go ahead – and residents are urged to have their say while the Government is still...
10 February 2023
- Developer agreements bring millions to improve our communities
A significant increase in developers' contributions towards amenities like schools, highways and public green spaces has been secured by Wokingham Borough Council. The authority received £92.3...
20 January 2023
- Your chance to help campaign for fairer new homes deal
Residents are urged to give their views on new Government proposals that could help Wokingham Borough Council's ongoing campaign to ensure the area takes a fairer share of housing in future. Shortly...
20 January 2023
- Land sought to meet needs of Gypsy and Traveller community
As part of its duty to plan for all sections of the community, Wokingham Borough Council wants to hear from anyone who would like to suggest potential sites for Gypsy and Traveller use. The planning...
13 January 2023
- Sustainable warmth scheme to help reduce energy costs
Residents on low incomes could get up to £25,000 of home improvements free of charge. Anyone who owns and lives in a property with a low energy efficiency rating could make use of measures like loft...
15 December 2022
- Supermarket sweep as two store plans move forward
Residents of Shinfield parish and the former Arborfield Garrison are set to benefit from new supermarkets coming forward under planning applications agreed by Wokingham Borough Council. Sainsbury's...
14 December 2022
- Another welcome step in battle for fairer housing deal
The leader of Wokingham Borough Council has secured an audience with the Government as he continues to press for a reduction in the number of new homes that the area is being forced to take every...
06 December 2022
- Helping those who are unsafe in their own homes
Wokingham Borough Council is reaching out to borough residents who are unsafe in their own homes to ensure they understand what help is available
28 November 2022
- Colleagues and local voluntary sector services sleep out to help out
Colleagues from Wokingham Borough Council and local voluntary sector services are getting their sleeping bags and blankets ready for a night under the stars in Howard Palmer Gardens to raise money...
22 November 2022
- Groundbreaking regeneration work starts at Gorse Ride
Last month, Wokingham Borough Council and appointed contractor, Wates Residential, reached a milestone as they broke ground on the affordable housing regeneration scheme at Gorse Ride in...
16 November 2022
- Historic post office faces bright future with protective listing
A historic building in Wokingham town centre which recently marked its 90th birthday has been granted extra protection by Wokingham Borough Council. Following a nomination by the Wokingham Society, a...
08 November 2022
- Gorse Ride roads lead to bloom
With the next phase of Wokingham Borough Council's Gorse Ride affordable housing regeneration underway in Finchampstead, attention has started to turn to naming the four new roads and five apartment...
25 October 2022