Planning and housing news archive
- Groundbreaking regeneration work starts at Gorse Ride
Last month, Wokingham Borough Council and appointed contractor, Wates Residential, reached a milestone as they broke ground on the affordable housing regeneration scheme at Gorse Ride in...
16 November 2022
- Historic post office faces bright future with protective listing
A historic building in Wokingham town centre which recently marked its 90th birthday has been granted extra protection by Wokingham Borough Council. Following a nomination by the Wokingham Society, a...
08 November 2022
- Gorse Ride roads lead to bloom
With the next phase of Wokingham Borough Council's Gorse Ride affordable housing regeneration underway in Finchampstead, attention has started to turn to naming the four new roads and five apartment...
25 October 2022
- Share your views on Twyford and Finchampstead neighbourhood plans
Residents of Twyford and Finchampstead have until November 23 to share their views on draft neighbourhood plans which could help to shape the future of their parishes. Wokingham Borough Council is...
11 October 2022
- New stackable housing set to welcome local homeless families
A state-of-the-art temporary housing site to help homeless families remain in Wokingham borough has been shortlisted for an industry award as it nears completion. The 23 modular timber-clad units at...
05 October 2022
- Next milestone for Gorse Ride Regeneration
There's lots going on at Gorse Ride now as Wokingham Borough Council carries out the final demolition works in preparation to hand over the site to the Wates Group at the start of September ready for...
25 August 2022
- Walking on sunshine at 21st century solar allotments
A new allotment in Wokingham borough has gone green in more ways than one by introducing solar panels to power gardening equipment and other tools. The site off Ifould Crescent, on the Montague Park...
11 August 2022
- Meet us to discuss unfair housing targets, council urges new minister
Wokingham Borough Council is keeping up pressure on the Government to reduce the number of new homes that the borough is being forced to take - and to reform national planning rules to put more power...
03 August 2022
- New dementia care home set to come to Toutley East
A new 68 bed specialist dementia care home at Toutley East is on track to open in a few years-time following approval of the business and procurement case at last Thursday's (28 July) executive...
02 August 2022
- Inspector backs latest crackdown on unlawful woodland development
Two landowners have again been told to stop unlawfully storing building materials in protected woodland after a planning inspector upheld an enforcement notice from Wokingham Borough Council. Dean...
20 July 2022
- Council recognised at Construction Excellence Awards
Wokingham Borough Council is delighted to have been named Client of the Year at the Constructing Excellence Awards.
14 July 2022
- Toutley East planning application approved
Proposals to provide Wokingham borough residents with state-of-the-art specialist dementia care home in the local area took a step forward this week as the Toutley East planning application was...
14 July 2022
- Wokingham Leisure Centre at the multi-million pound carnival hub set to open 25 July
On 25 July Wokingham Borough Council's leisure centre at the multi-million pound Carnival Hub, its new flagship community building, will open its doors to the public.
06 July 2022
- First victory as Michael Gove agrees to discuss housing numbers
Housing minister Michael Gove has agreed to discuss local housing targets with Wokingham Borough Council, which believes they are too high and is campaigning to reduce them, following its successful...
05 July 2022
- Keeping the Gorse Ride community up-to-date
With site clearance and preparatory works underway on Wokingham Borough Council's Gorse Ride regeneration, local residents had the chance to come along and meet the project team to find out how the...
29 June 2022
- Stepping up campaign for fair housing policy
Wokingham Borough Council is stepping up its campaign for a change in the way that new housing is planned - and a cut in the number of new homes which the Government is forcing it to take. The new...
17 June 2022
- Global research hub at Shinfield could help tackle climate emergency
Proposals by the Natural History Museum to open a major research hub with a science and digitisation centre in Shinfield parish have been welcomed by Wokingham Borough Council. The museum has...
14 June 2022
- New social housing allocation rules to help those most in need
Wokingham Borough Council launched last week (1 April) new rules to allocate social housing across the borough, following a public consultation in late 2021.
04 April 2022
- Commemorating the Carnival Hub with a new time capsule
With only a handful of months until it opens in the summer, the Carnival Hub saw its first ever cultural event on Tuesday (22 March) when the borough mayor, Cllr Keith Baker MBE, dedicated a time...
24 March 2022
- Primary school opening postponed until need for places increases
A new primary school in Wokingham town will continue to await an opening date because of a lower level of demand for primary level spaces in the 2022/23 academic year than expected. Wokingham Borough...
15 March 2022