Planning and housing news archive
- Environmental protection and quality of life at the heart of the draft Local Plan
The draft Local Plan update is due to be unveiled on 15 January at a meeting of the extraordinary executive, and if agreed a public consultation on it would be launched in February.
09 January 2020
- Wokingham Borough Council opens door to new council housing
Wokingham Borough Council opened the doors to 11 newly constructed social rent homes, in Tape Lane, Hurst. It is the first traditional council housing of its kind in over 20 years and a milestone...
25 November 2019
- Grand opening of Wokingham town centre Premier Inn
It's time to save the date in your diaries as the new Wokingham town centre Premier Inn hotel at Elms Field is officially opened by the Wokingham Borough Mayor, Cllr Bill Soane, on Friday November 15...
12 November 2019
- New community centre coming to Shinfield
A new community centre for Shinfield has just taken a big step forward with planning approval. Now granted.
Shinfield Parish Council and Wokingham Borough Council have been working together on the...
08 November 2019
- 'Fighting Fund' to protect borough against unwanted developments
Wokingham Borough Council's decision-making executive has approved a £630,000 'fighting fund' to help it defend its planning decisions against speculative developers' appeals to the Planning...
04 November 2019
- Local school children enjoy tour of Tape Lane development in Hurst
Pupils from St Nicholas CE Primary School donned hard hats and high-vis jackets, as they replaced their usual classroom lessons with a construction talk at nearby Tape Lane development in Hurst....
01 November 2019
- Council takes major step forward in its major highways programme
Wokingham Borough Council takes another step forward in its fight against congestion as its major highways project reaches another milestone with the final section of the North Wokingham Distributor...
22 October 2019
- Have your say on adoption of new infrastructure
The procedure for adopting new roads, open spaces, landscaping and play areas once housing developments have been completed is now the focus of special group set up specifically to examine it.
04 October 2019
- Council cleared in Hare Hatch Sheeplands planning enforcement investigation
Officers and councillors at Wokingham Borough Council have been cleared of any maladministration or unprofessional conduct in an independent investigation into the council's planning enforcement...
27 August 2019
- Almost 47000 residents say government-imposed housing target is too high
Wokingham Borough Council has been overwhelmed by the number of responses to the Housing Target Consultation, with just under 50,000 individual responses received of which 46,807 (94%) said no to the...
21 August 2019
- Council pushes forward with Arborfield war memorial
Wokingham Borough Council's plans to install a memorial stone in Arborfield, dedicated to the brave members of the Arborfield Royal Observer Corps, took a major step forward this week as the stone...
06 August 2019
- Borough council wins costs after successful planning enforcement appeal hearing
Wokingham Borough Council has won appeal costs from a resident who had been caught letting a barn and stables he had converted into a house, despite not having the right planning permission.
04 July 2019
- Public consultation on major housing development proposal in South Wokingham
Residents are being invited to comment on planning applications submitted for a major housing development proposed in South Wokingham.
19 June 2019
- Response to court decision on Hare Hatch / Sheeplands
Wokingham Borough Council's success in defending the Green Belt from unauthorised development at Hare Hatch / Sheeplands, and its determination to continue that protection, remain unchanged despite a...
16 April 2019
- Have your say on future development of Wokingham Borough
Residents across Wokingham Borough are being urged to get involved and help plan future development in the area.
19 March 2019
- Council seeks residents' views on re-design of California Cross Roads
Wokingham Borough Council is asking residents for their input to the California Cross Project which is aiming to create a real village centre for the area.
27 February 2019
- BBC's Council House Crackdown highlights importance of Council Housing Companies in delivering more homes for affordable rent
Wokingham Housing (WHL, our housing company, is featured in series four of the BBC documentary 'Council House Crackdown'. The day time television series follow's local authority housing investigators...
27 February 2019
- Self build homes project moving forward
Wokingham Borough Council's first self-build housing project has been given the green light by the council's decision-making executive. The project will see 21 self-build plots of land at Wheatsheaf...
08 February 2019
- Gorse Ride public exhibitions for next phase of regeneration
The drop-in sessions on the 9th (10am -1.30pm) and 15th (3 -7.30pm) February, at St Mary's and St John's Parish Centre in Finchampstead, will give residents and interested parties the chance to see,...
06 February 2019
- Homes for the Future consultation - plenty of time to join the conversation
Residents across Wokingham Borough are coming out in large numbers to Wokingham Borough Council's homes for the future consultation events, to learn more and have their say about how the borough will...
28 January 2019