Recycling and rubbish news archive
- Halfway through recycling bag deliveries
More than half of Wokingham Borough's households have now had their annual waste delivery, including the new waterproof recycling bags. 43,000 households have now had their items dropped at their...
31 March 2021
- Council supports local businesses to become more energy efficient
Wokingham Borough Council has continued to lead the way towards carbon neutrality this week hosting its first online Climate Conversation with local businesses
24 March 2021
- Second largest increase in recycling rate in England
Wokingham Borough Council had the second largest increase in recycling rates across all local authorities in England last year, according to new Government data. The borough's recycling rate jumped...
15 March 2021
- Proposals to help borough council focus on real issues for residents
Wokingham Borough Council's decision making executive is considering plans this month that will allow it to better target issues that affect the quality of life of its residents
11 March 2021
- Garden waste sign up and renewals set to open for 2021-22
Green fingered residents across Wokingham Borough will soon be able apply for a garden waste collection for 2021-22. Anyone signed up for a collection for 2020-21 will get an email or letter asking...
09 March 2021
- Don't put batteries in your rubbish bags
Don't put batteries in your rubbish bags. That's the message from our waste collection crews who escaped serious injury after a fire in their lorry earlier this month. A car battery left in a...
24 February 2021
- Rubbish and recycling bags on the way to you
Delivery of new waterproof recycling bags, blue general waste bags and food waste bags to residents across Wokingham borough has begun. All items will be dropped at doorsteps together during the next...
23 February 2021
- Waste and recycling bag delivery starts 22 February
New waterproof recycling bags, green food waste bags and blue general waste bags will start being delivered in Wokingham Borough from 22 February. These will be dropped on doorsteps over a seven-week...
09 February 2021
- Council ramps up fight against fly-tipping
Wokingham Borough Council is ramping up its efforts to fight fly-tipping, operating a zero-tolerance approach against this illegal activity that blights our borough. Last year we successfully...
19 January 2021
- Garden waste collections restart
Garden waste collections will restart in Wokingham Borough tomorrow (7 January) after they were temporarily suspended. The service was paused earlier this week due to a high number of Covid-19 cases...
06 January 2021
- Wokingham Borough Council announces temporary closure of its Shute End office
Wokingham Borough Council has temporarily closed its main office at Shute End, following Tier 4 announcement late last week.
23 December 2020
- Local school children tell drivers to switch off their engines
Local school girl Mahveen Rafay has seen Wokingham Borough Council bring her prize-winning artwork to the attention residents across the borough after it was put up in key areas around the borough to...
21 December 2020
- Council inspires local authorities across the UK with plans to achieve carbon neutrality
Wokingham Borough Council has been inspiring local authorities across the UK with their plans to achieve carbon neutrality by 2030
17 December 2020
- Christmas and New Year waste collection changes
With Christmas now just a couple of weeks away, residents are reminded there will be some small changes to bin collections across the borough during the festive period.
14 December 2020
- Council committed to reducing single use plastics
Wokingham Borough Council has today reaffirmed its commitment to reducing the use of single use plastics across the borough after successfully overcoming an unprecedented set back due to Covid...
09 December 2020
- Santa is watching: campaign to fight fly-tipping
Wokingham Borough Council has announced a Christmas crackdown on fly-tipping, reminding law breakers that 'Santa is watching'. We encourage you all to play your part in keeping the borough clean and...
07 December 2020
- 8000 tonnes of food waste recycled
Wokingham borough's food waste recycling service continues to grow in popularity, with more than 500 tonnes of food waste now being recycled each month. November marks 18 months since the service was...
24 November 2020
- Where to get waste and recycling items during lockdown
Wokingham Borough Council's Shute End offices will be one of several locations residents can get waste and recycling items if they're running out during lockdown. Woodley and Earley libraries will...
16 November 2020
- Wokingham Borough is watching: campaign to fight fly-tipping
Wokingham Borough Council is cracking down hard on fly-tipping by today launching a new campaign reminding offenders that, 'We Are Watching.' We are committed to keeping the borough clean and green...
02 November 2020
- Virtual youth climate conference next week
The inaugural Wokingham Youth Climate Conference will take place next week, with the event adapted to run online. It had been planned for March this year but was postponed due to COVID-19.
08 October 2020