Roads and travel news archive
- Working in partnership with Complete Childcare to bring Balance Bike sessions to Finchampstead
Wokingham Borough Council is pleased to announce it's working in partnership with Complete Childcare, a local nursery company, on an initiative in Finchampstead.
02 June 2023
- Borough's vision for better buses backed by Government
Plans to increase bus passenger numbers in Wokingham Borough by providing a better service have received a £401,322 boost from the Government.
The Department for Transport (DfT) has awarded the...
31 May 2023
- Concerns shared with Mayor of London about plans to stop travelcards
Wokingham Borough Council has written to Mayor of London Sadiq Khan to express concerns about the proposal to withdraw day travelcards which could see the cost for residents commuting from the...
26 May 2023
- Funding sets wheels in motion for new active travel route
Plans for a new active and sustainable travel link between Wokingham town centre and neighbourhoods to the west have taken their first step forward thanks to a Government grant.
The borough council...
23 May 2023
- Spring into the saddle to win prizes in May
CYCLISTS of all ages and backgrounds can celebrate the start of sunnier weather with a little friendly competition in this year's Love to Ride Bike Month Challenge. The event, supported by Wokingham...
18 April 2023
- Children's anti-idling artworks are a breath of fresh air
Creative and colourful anti-idling banners designed by pupils have gone up outside six schools in Wokingham Borough to support the council's efforts to improve air quality. The eye-catching artworks...
31 March 2023
- Next big step for ambitious walking and cycling plans
A long-term plan to make it safer and easier for residents to walk and cycle around Wokingham Borough has been published. The Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plan (LCWIP), which the...
23 March 2023
- Parking fees will increase to protect frontline services
Off-street car parking fees in Wokingham Borough will increase for the first time in five years so that its roads and footways are well maintained without affecting vital frontline services. The...
23 March 2023
- Financial boost to maintain local road network
Wokingham Borough Council has been allocated a much-needed boost to its highways maintenance funding.
22 March 2023
- New free bike hire scheme will deliver the goods
Businesses in Wokingham Borough, especially those carrying out multiple short trips, have the chance to try doing their deliveries on a special electric bicycle instead of driving. My Journey...
17 March 2023
- Fare play for buses as Government heeds council's funding calls
The Government's support for bus services in Wokingham Borough and beyond has been extended for three more months after the council campaigned to ministers on the issue. The Department for Transport...
07 March 2023
- Borough's buses get another funding lifeline from council
Subsidised bus routes in Wokingham Borough have received a funding boost to keep them going until new long-term contracts can be agreed with operators. Wokingham Borough Council has extended its...
17 February 2023
- How could we improve your journeys around the borough?
Everyone who walks, cycles, takes public transport or drives is invited to answer some questions to help Wokingham Borough Council make this safer and easier as it faces the challenges of the decades...
01 February 2023
- Government urged not to cut borough's bus funding lifeline
Bus services in Wokingham Borough need continued Government support if they are to survive their current financial challenges. That's the message from Wokingham Borough Council, whose leader Cllr...
23 January 2023
- Helping you travel safely this winter
Wokingham Borough Council's gritting lorries have been out regularly during one of the coldest December periods since 2010, helping keep roads safe and traffic moving this winter. As temperatures...
23 December 2022
- Next steps for proposed parking fee increase
Wokingham Borough Council takes the next step in increasing car parking fees. The council has drawn up a draft traffic regulation order to allow a change to the current arrangements, which is being...
14 December 2022
- Council offers free car parking over the festive period
Wokingham Borough Council announced today (Wednesday, 7 December) that it will provide free car parking on the two Saturdays before Christmas, but is unable to provide the usual free weekend parking...
07 December 2022
- Reading to Wokingham Toy Run 2022 road closures
Information on Reading Toy Run rolling road closures
24 November 2022
- Residents and businesses asked for feedback on new traffic enforcement powers
Wokingham Borough Council is seeking views from residents, businesses and other interested parties on their plans to apply to take over the enforcement of some moving traffic offences across the...
21 November 2022
- Locations confirmed for new electric vehicle chargers
The sites have now been revealed for dozens of new electric vehicle charging points which should encourage greater ownership when they are installed with Government funding next year. Twelve of the...
18 November 2022