Roads and travel news archive
- Active travel scheme gets kids and adults on their feet
More than three-quarters of participants in the Beat the Street scheme encouraging Wokingham borough residents to travel more actively are now doing so on a regular basis.
22 October 2021
- Smoother journeys through Barkham thanks to new bridge
The widening of Barkham Bridge is already improving journeys for residents and commuters in the area. Wokingham Borough Council and its partner Balfour Beatty completed the project earlier this year,...
28 September 2021
- Roundabout construction complete in Winnersh
Construction of two roundabouts linking two relief roads which will cut congestion in Winnersh and Wokingham have been completed. Wokingham Borough Council and its partner Balfour Beatty finished...
24 September 2021
- £100,000 to support cycling
Wokingham Borough Council has been awarded almost £100,000 by the Department for Transport to help encourage cycling in the area. It's coming from the Government's Capability Fund to support the...
09 September 2021
- Major roads project shortlisted for award
The Wokingham Major Highways Project is shortlisted for Partnership Initiative of the Year at the British Construction Industry Awards. The council nominated alongside contractor Balfour Beatty and...
31 August 2021
- £250,000 funding win for smart traffic lights and crossing sensors
Wokingham Borough Council has been awarded £250,000 for smart traffic lights and crossings across the area. The Department for Transport gave the grant to support the use of new technology to cut...
23 August 2021
- Hundreds of residents shape the future of cycling and walking in the area
Plans are being drawn up to set out the walking and cycling network in Wokingham Borough. The council is developing its Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plan (LCWIP) to determine where best...
16 August 2021
- Beat the Street Wokingham winners announced
Wokingham's Beat the Street challenge has come to an amazing conclusion this week with 6,263 participants racking up 151,531 active travel miles! Beat the Street transformed the town centre,...
27 July 2021
- Backing plans for eco-friendly buses for Earley
Wokingham Borough Council is backing Reading Buses and Reading Borough Council in a bid to bring zero emissions vehicles to routes in and around the area. The plans include an allocation of zero...
23 July 2021
- Improving footpaths around Waingels College in Woodley
Footpaths on the main route into Waingels College in Woodley have been improved. Repairs were completed on the footpaths along Denmark Avenue earlier this month, by Wokingham Borough Council's...
19 July 2021
- Temporary shuttle bus introduced for Finchampstead
A temporary shuttle bus service has been introduced for parts of Finchampstead as part of the Nine Mile Ride Extension project. The Park Lane/Nine Mile Ride junction is closed while construction work...
13 July 2021
- Plans to improve cycle link between Woodley and Reading
Plans are being drawn up to make it easier to cycle and walk between Woodley town centre and the Reading borough boundary at Palmer Park. Wokingham Borough Council will be progressing with its Active...
02 July 2021
- Primary school pupils have a lesson in greenways
Year five pupils from Emmbrook Junior School had a talk about greenways from Wokingham Borough Council's public rights of ways manager, Andrew Fletcher, on Friday 25 June 2021.
29 June 2021
- Where to get your free fobs for Beat the Street
The popular physical activity game Beat the Street gets underway across Wokingham Town Centre, Finchampstead and Woosehill next week. People of all ages are invited to ditch the car and get active as...
03 June 2021
- Winnersh Relief Road banned right turns
Phase two of the Winnersh Relief Road opened on Monday 10 May. The road provides an alternative route around Winnersh to help reduce congestion at the Winnersh crossroads and surrounding...
14 May 2021
- Council invites you to join in the fun and Beat the Street
Wokingham Borough Council has announced today that our borough is to be transformed into a giant community-wide physical activity challenge next month with residents being invited to 'Beat the...
12 May 2021
- £4.8million resurfacing programme for 2021-22 begins
A road improvements programme which will see resurfacing on dozens of streets across Wokingham Borough has begun. About £4.8million is being invested at locations across the area as Wokingham Borough...
11 May 2021
- Council and local police launch close pass cycling awareness initiative in Wokingham
Wokingham Borough Council and Thames Valley Police are working in partnership to raise awareness of the dangers and consequences of drivers passing too close to cyclists
26 April 2021
- Construction work begins at Winnersh Triangle Park and Ride
Construction has begun to increase capacity at Winnersh Triangle Park and Ride as Wokingham Borough Council continue building better sustainable transport infrastructure across the borough
22 April 2021
- Long term closure to fix collapsed road in Finchampstead
The Ridges in Finchampstead will be closed for up to a year to repair a collapsed section of road. A closure has been in place since last month after a section of the road began to collapse. After...
15 April 2021