Roads and travel news archive
- Strong start to new street cleansing contract
Paths and pavements across the Wokingham Borough are getting back to their best following the start of a new street cleansing contract. Residents and neighbourhood groups in Lower Earley have...
02 July 2020
- Town centre social distancing
Have you visited Wokingham town centre in the last week? If you have, you'll have seen the temporary barriers designed to keep pedestrians safe and give them enough room to practice safe social...
19 June 2020
- Coppid Beech park and ride planning application submitted
Plans to build a 250-space park and ride on a key transport route between Wokingham and Bracknell have been submitted. Wokingham Borough Council has applied for planning permission to build the...
11 June 2020
- Community tree garden construction complete
Construction work to create a new community tree garden in Woodley precinct has been completed, with a raised brick wall installed around the four trees outside Waitrose, near the Crockhamwell Road...
09 June 2020
- Speed limit review across the borough
Roads across Wokingham Borough will have speed limits reviewed this year, as the council works to ensure our streets are as safe as possible. This will focus on the major transport routes across the...
04 June 2020
- Wokingham Borough Council to re-introduce civil parking enforcement
Civil parking enforcement will gradually be re-introduced across Wokingham Borough.
29 May 2020
- New cycleway for Wokingham
Construction of a new cycleway in and out of Wokingham town centre will begin later this month. Work on London Road, linking the centre of town with the Coppid Beech roundabout / A329M interchange,...
21 May 2020
- £8m investment in road improvements in 2020-21
Wokingham Borough Council will invest £8million in improving its road network in 2020-21, with almost 100 roads earmarked for resurfacing or treatments to prolong its life in the coming months.
18 May 2020
- Best cycle training for young people in the country
Wokingham Borough Council has been named the best local authority in the country for Bikeability cycle training for young people. It was announced as winner of the Bikeability Trust's Local...
15 May 2020
- New community tree garden for Woodley precinct
A community garden will be created in Woodley precinct to smarten up the town centre and help boost the local economy as it responds to the COVID-19 pandemic. It will be created around the trees...
14 May 2020
- Council approves plan to improve public rights of way
Plans to improve the Public Rights of Way network has been approved by the decision-making executive after extensive public consultation
27 April 2020
- Hundreds of toads helped to migrate for breeding season
Volunteers have helped keep hundreds of toads safe by helping them get across the road at Priest Hill, Farley Hill. This crucial wildlife protection is being overseen by volunteers from Berkshire...
13 March 2020
- Work begins on councils new wildlife friendly green bridge in Arborfield
Wokingham Borough Council began building a wildlife friendly green bridge over the new Arborfield Cross Relief Road this week
06 March 2020
- Drive Start award winning course returns for 2020
Tickets are now on sale for teenagers in Wokingham borough who want to become safe new drivers at a pre-driver training event on Thursday 20 February at the Community Trust Academy, Madejski Stadium,...
17 January 2020
- Keeping the Borough moving
Congestion is one of our most common and frequently reported concerns. We are taking bold action to combat this and cut our carbon footprint in the process. It is a delicate juggling act coordinating...
14 January 2020
- Contractor helps drive council towards carbon neutral target
Wokingham Borough Council's contractor VolkerHighways will be using two new electric vehicles to travel across the borough's road network to help cut the council's carbon footprint. It is the first...
03 January 2020
- Drainage maintenance on more than 100 roads
More than 100 roads across Wokingham Borough will see drainage works take place this winter.
Highway grips, which are shallow channels connecting the edge of the carriageway to a roadside ditch, are...
19 December 2019
- Improved bus services for Shinfield and Spencers Wood
Residents in Shinfield and Spencers Wood will be given better travel links into Reading thanks to an expanded bus service for the villages supported by Wokingham Borough Council. An enhanced Leopard...
16 December 2019
- £9.2million funding secured towards highway improvements
Another key milestone has been reached in improving Wokingham Borough's road network as the council is awarded £9.2million towards two new roads. These schemes have been backed through the...
16 December 2019
- Local school win sustainable transport award for pounding the pavement
vendons Primary School in Finchampstead is celebrating a successful evening at the Modeshift South East regional awards after being named 'Best School in Wokingham' for going the extra mile promoting...
13 December 2019