Roads and travel news archive
- Drainage maintenance on more than 100 roads
More than 100 roads across Wokingham Borough will see drainage works take place this winter.
Highway grips, which are shallow channels connecting the edge of the carriageway to a roadside ditch, are...
19 December 2019
- Improved bus services for Shinfield and Spencers Wood
Residents in Shinfield and Spencers Wood will be given better travel links into Reading thanks to an expanded bus service for the villages supported by Wokingham Borough Council. An enhanced Leopard...
16 December 2019
- £9.2million funding secured towards highway improvements
Another key milestone has been reached in improving Wokingham Borough's road network as the council is awarded £9.2million towards two new roads. These schemes have been backed through the...
16 December 2019
- Local school win sustainable transport award for pounding the pavement
vendons Primary School in Finchampstead is celebrating a successful evening at the Modeshift South East regional awards after being named 'Best School in Wokingham' for going the extra mile promoting...
13 December 2019
- Popular Bikeability training extended to 2021
A further 1,400 children in the Wokingham Borough will now be able to benefit from Bikeability cycle training thanks to a grant from the Department for Transport (DfT).
27 November 2019
- Safe Drive Stay Alive 2019
Students from all Wokingham Borough sixth forms, including private schools, are attending this year's Safe Drive Stay Alive presentations to learn about the risks they face when behind the wheel.
18 November 2019
- It's competition time with My Journey Wokingham!
Wokingham Borough Council's My Journey team are giving you the chance to win £50 of Berkshire Cycle Co vouchers to help you stay safe this winter.
05 November 2019
- Council completes a major highways project on Lower Earley Way ahead of schedule
Wokingham Borough Council has finished dualling works on Lower Earley Way four months ahead of schedule
04 November 2019
- Christmas parking gift for shoppers
Free Saturday daytime parking in the run up to Christmas is back again this year in Wokingham Borough Council car parks on 7, 14 and 21 December.
01 November 2019
- Council trials recycled plastic kerbstones
Kerbstones made from recycled plastics will be trialled in Wokingham borough. The innovative scheme will be run by Wokingham Borough Council alongside its highways contractor Volker Highways. Using...
25 October 2019
- Loddon Valley Ramblers improve footpath access across the borough
The Loddon Valley Ramblers have made great strides when it comes to improving footpath access across the Wokingham borough. During 2019, their volunteers have installed 14 gates throughout the local...
24 October 2019
- Council takes major step forward in its major highways programme
Wokingham Borough Council takes another step forward in its fight against congestion as its major highways project reaches another milestone with the final section of the North Wokingham Distributor...
22 October 2019
- Council to crack down on dangerous parking violations
Wokingham Borough Council is increasing its number of parking wardens in response to complaints of unsafe parking around schools across the borough.
26 September 2019
- Council offers help to those looking to pedal more around the borough and beyond
Do you sit in traffic watching cyclists passing you by and wish you could swap your four wheels for two? What's holding you back? Do you know how to cycle competently on but need a little help with...
19 September 2019
- Wokingham Borough Council takes measured approach to third runway at Heathrow
Wokingham Borough Council has environmental concerns over the proposed third runway at Heathrow Airport. On Tuesday, 17 September, the council approved its response to the Heathrow expansion...
19 September 2019
- Council celebrates summer cycling success for local children
A record number of local children have thrown away their stabilisers this summer after pedalling their way to success, completing Wokingham Borough Council's Bikeability Learn to Ride course.
12 September 2019
- Council takes steps to improve Keephatch footpath
Wokingham Borough Council has taken steps to improve a popular footpath. The route, which runs from Keephatch Road to the A329 is well-used by both runners and dog walkers.
10 September 2019
- Council set to kick off annual road maintenance campaign
This year Wokingham Borough Council's annual road maintenance campaign is bigger than ever. The council secured a significant piece of the government's potholes fund meaning more of the borough's...
29 August 2019
- Youngsters enjoy summer holiday bike bonanza
More than 150 people took part in cycling activities as part of a summer holiday bike bonanza thanks to My Journey Wokingham.
28 August 2019
- Convenience fee to be removed from car park mobile payments
Drivers using Wokingham Borough Council car parks will no longer have to pay the 20p charge when using RingGo to pay for parking.
20 August 2019